Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Let's get it started.

Hello friends! I have been talking about it for quite a while but there is no time like the present. So here it is, my work in progress blog. Why blog, you may say? Well, those of you who already know me know that I am always posting on facebook with whatever crafty thing I have made or recipe I have attempted. Some appreciate it, some don't. Sometimes I have a lot more to say than what can just fit into a status update.

For my first entry I would like to talk about this amazing meal I made for dinner. I had pinned a few recipes for roasted butternut squash and bacon pasta, but after reading through them I decided they just weren't what I wanted. So I concocted my own creation and am so happy with the results. So with out further ado, I give you:

Roasted Butternut Squash and Bacon Pasta Skillet
(I don't bother with prep time, cook time and serving size. It will take as long as it takes to prep. It'll be done when its ready and a few people can eat a lot or a lot of people can have a little. You can figure this part out for yourselves. I know you can.)


3-4 lb butternut squash; peeled, seeded and cut into 1" cubes

1 medium onion, rough chopped
1-2tbsp olive oil
1 lb of quality bacon
8oz of pasta (I used penne)
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
1tsp dried, ground sage
salt and pepper to your taste

Preheat the oven to 450°. Peeling and chopping squash can be quite a chore. To make it easier, I through my whole, uncut squash into the microwave for 3-4 minutes to soften it up slightly before chopping. After you have your squash and onion chopped, toss them together with the oil and a little salt and pepper before spreading them onto a baking sheet. Make sure the sheet is not over crowded or the veggies will steam rather than roast. Place in the oven for 25-35 minutes, tossing after about 15 to evenly roast. Keep a close eye so they don't burn.
Meanwhile, cook your bacon in a large, preferable cast iron skillet. If you don't have cast iron, use a dutch oven or other large pot. Drain off the fat and crumble your bacon. Add the squash and onions to your skillet with the bacon. Pour in your broth, milk, cream, uncooked pasta and sage and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the pasta is cooked to al dente, stirring occasionally.


Once the pasta is cooked, add 1.5 cups of the jack cheese and stir to distribute. Once that cheese has melted in, sprinkle the remainder of the cheese on top and place skillet under broiler until its all melty and delicious. 

Serve and enjoy!

Everyone in my family loved this recipe! Its definitely not low fat, but its great to splurge on something delicious now and then! I wish I had better pictures to offer you, but you'll have to make due with my iPhone pics. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to post them here. If you try my recipe and blog about it, please link back to me and let me know what you thought of it! 

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere! I look forward to your posts. This recipe sounds incredible and I think I can easily adapt it to fit our gluten-free, dairy-free requirements!

    ReplyDelete